If you’re anything like me, by the time mid September rolls around you are craving anything pumpkin! Pumpkin pie, pumpkin lattes, pumpkin bread….they are all so delicious, but they are often desserts that are loaded with sugars and fat. So, I wanted to come up with a sort of “guilt free” pumpkin treat – that you can also eat for breakfast. Win, win, right?!
In addition to pumpkin just being plain ol’ delicious, did you know there are some major health bonuses? Here are a few:
-It’s loaded with carotenoids (the compounds that make the pumpkin nice and bright orange) and beta-carotene, which your body converts into a form of Vitamin A. This helps with your vision!
-It’s high in fiber. So it can help keep you feeling fuller for longer with fewer calories.
-Pumpkins are rich in antioxidants, which may help in the prevention of cancer.
-Carotenoids also fight free radicals, so they can help keep your skin looking younger and wrinkle free.
-Pumpkins have a ton of potassium (even more than a banana). So it’s a great thing to eat after a workout because potassium helps to restore your body’s balance of electrolytes after a workout to keep your body functioning properly.
Ok, so after reading all of those awesome health benefits, I’m sure you’re ready for the recipe!
Here it is – my Protein Pumpkin Pie Overnight Oats!
-1/2 cup rolled oats
-1 Scoop Vanilla Shakeology (Or your choice of protein powder. I love Shakeology because it’s more than just a protein powder. It’s also loaded with your daily dose of vitamins, pre and probiotics, digestive enzymes, and antioxidants. Feel free to read more about it here).
-1/3 cup of Pure Pumpkin (read the ingredient list and make sure it’s the only ingredient)
-1/3 cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
-2 tablespoons plain Greek Yogurt
-1-2 tablespoons Pure Maple Syrup (depending on how sweet you’d like it)
-1/2 teaspoon Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Take a mason jar (or air tight container) and start by pouring in the oats, then the Shakeology, pumpkin, almond milk, greek yogurt, maple syrup, and at the top the pumpkin pie spice.
- Close the lid, and gently shake the jar to combine all ingredients. (If the dry ingredients are having a hard time mixing with the wet ones, simply use a spoon to stir it around).
- Refrigerate overnight (or for at least 6-8 hours). No need to cook the oats – the liquid will “cook” them.
- Enjoy in the morning! You can eat them cold, or warm them up in the microwave (I prefer them warmed up – especially on a chilly morning).
- This will keep for 3-4 days easily in the refrigerator, so feel free to make a few servings at once.
*This recipe is also awesome for nursing mommas because the oats can help with boosting your milk supply! Bonus!