I made this casserole the other night, and I have to say it was pretty darn amazing. It has chicken, wild rice, butternut squash, and cranberries in it – basically all of the yummy fall flavors. So of course I am craving Thanksgiving foods now!
If you’re in need of a healthy, flavorful, and easy recipe for your fam, give this one a try. It won’t disappoint – promise!!
-1/2 yellow onion (thinly sliced and diced)
-1 lb butternut squash (chopped into 1 inch squares – I always buy mine from Target or Cub Foods because they have it all chopped up for you)!
-1 rotisserie chicken (sliced with skin removed)
-1 cup wild rice (makes 3 cups cooked) or you could substitute quinoa if you prefer
-1/2 cup dried cranberries
-1/2 cup freshly shaved parmesean cheese
-1 Tablespoon freshly chopped thyme
-2 Tablespoons olive oil
-Salt and Pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Cook wild rice (or quinoa) according to package directions
- While wild rice is cooking, heat a large skillet over medium heat. And in olive oil. Once oil is hot, add in your onion and squash. Sautee for approximately 6-8 minutes (or until squash is soft and you can easily pierce it with a fork). Season with salt and pepper.
- Take a 9 x 13 pan and spray with olive oil or coconut oil
- Once rice is ready, pour it into the pan along with the onion and squash mixuture.
- Add in chicken, ¼ cup of the parmesaen cheese, dried cranberries, and thyme
- Stir all ingredients together
- Cover with tinfoil and cook in oven for 20 minutes.
- Top casserole off with remaining ¼ cup parmesan cheese, cover and cook for an additional 5 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!